User Guide
Sign in
What is the intended use of distinct List and Smart List objects?
I was just wondering how these two features were supposed to interact. I find myself making one or the other and then finding that the functionaluty I want only applies to the other type. For example hiding lists and aadding lists as calendars
Hi Zoe,

I don't totally understand your question but Smart Lists can be used to pull tasks from various lists with different contexts.

e.g. I use a smart list named 'Focus' which pulls in tasks from all my lists, that have a date 'overdue' or 'due today' or tagged with the word "focus"
This gives me a list of all the things I need to focus on currently.

I then have a smart list named "Shopping" which includes a Groceries task (with sub tasks for items to buy) together with any tasks I tag as #buy so that whenever I go out I have a quick list I can check to see if there's anything that needs purchasing.
this definitely clarifies Smart Lists, but why should they be a distinct feature from regular lists if tags already provide a manual labeling system.
because tags can only have one context and pull from all lists.

Smart Lists can have multiple or different contexts (date, tag, priority, list etc) as in my example above of showing 'overdue or due tasks' and also tasks that I myself have marked as being my 'focus' for today but don't have a due date.

It also allows you to choose which lists are implemented in to smart lists. e.g. you could have a smart list for important tasks that are due at the office, then one for home if you don't want your home tasks to be distracting you when you're focused on work.

It basically allows you to remove a lot of the distraction that comes from switching lists and seeing non-relevant tasks.
Please  Sign in  to post a topic.

Help | Blog | Upgrade to Premium | Contact | Privacy | Security | Terms | Thanks | License