User Guide
Sign in
"End" key on wrapped paragraphs sends cursor too far
-I go to the web interface of ticktick.com.
-I type a paragraph in the description of a task, and I make it long enough to wrap to 4 lines. Not using new lines.
-I arrow up to the second line of the paragraph.
-I hit the End key on my keyboard.
-The cursor moves to the end of the paragraph, 2 lines below.

I would expect the cursor to move to the end of the 2nd line, where I had placed it.
Hey Stan,

Thanks for the request! Will pass it to the product team and do an evaluation asap.
Hi. It's been a couple of weeks. Any word on progress? This bug is pretty annoying.
Hey Stan,

Not sure if we get you wrong, but it doesn't seem to be a bug, but how currently it is designed.

Could you please take a video OR send us some screenshots to better illustrate it?
How would I post a screenshot? This discussion board only allows plain text, which itself ironically poses a difficulty in TickTick. Also, this is pretty simple. Just follow the steps above. Here's a paragraph, so you see the exact same thing I see.

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.

Copy and paste that whole paragraph into a task description in TickTick on the web in Chrome 75 (Windows 10). It wraps to 5 rows on my screen, but it may be different on a different size screen. Optionally, resize the Chrome window to cause the paragraph to wrap to more rows. If the paragraph wraps to two or more rows, you'll see my problem, though it's more obvious with more rows. Place the cursor anywhere on the first line of the paragraph. Then hit the End key on the keyboard. Observe, that the cursor moves to the end of the paragraph, which in my case is the 5th line. The expected behavior is for the cursor to move to the end of the first line. If I wanted to go to the end of the paragraph, I would have ordinarily used Ctrl+Down, but that, by the way, doesn't seem to work in TickTick either.

I've been using TickTick for two years. This hasn't been a problem before. In fact, I chose TickTick from a number of task management solutions, among other things, because it allowed me to accomplish a lot quickly using the keyboard. This advantage has eroded away over the years. I used to be able to tab between the task list, the current task subject, and the description. I can't anymore. I used to be able to arrow up and down between tasks in a list. I can't anymore. I even used to be able to tab between various lists. I can't anymore. Please, don't take away the most basic of text editing standards - the functionality of the Home and End keys.

Every text editor from the most primitive to the most advanced uses this norm. The Home and the End keys move the cursor to the beginning and the end of a single line of text respectively. Here are just a few text editors that you can check for yourself.
-A plain input text area box in a browser on a web page. (<form><textarea></textarea></form>)
-Windows Notepad
-Notepad++
-Wordpad
-Microsoft Word
-Outlook
-Gdoc on Google
That's just to name a few, but if you need more proof, even TickTick still implements this norm correctly. Just paste that Lorem ipsum paragraph into the subject of a TickTick task instead of a description and use the Home and End keys to see.

I hope this helps. Please, don't tell me that it isn't a bug, and that it's designed this way, because you'd be admitting that it's poorly designed. I'm pretty sure it's an unintended side effect of some code changes. A few version diffs or commit compares, and the devs will know what brought this on.

Here are some references on text editor keyboard shortcut standards.
https://blog.codinghorror.com/very-basic-textbox-keyboard-shortcuts/
https://www.howtogeek.com/115664/42-text-editing-keyboard-shortcuts-that-work-almost-everywhere/
Hey Stan,

Thanks for your clarification! Have passed your issue to the dev team and they will look into it asap.
Please  Sign in  to post a topic.

Help | Blog | Upgrade to Premium | Contact | Privacy | Security | Terms | Thanks | License